Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Thoughts on MerleFest 2019 + Links

Ok, so here's RollingStone's review of MerleFest 2019

My take on it is both the same - and somewhat different.  Many of what I consider highlights aren't even mentioned in the RollingStone article...  What I have listed below are my highlights, which may or may not have been mentioned in RollingStone.  

(All the songs listed below were performed at MerleFest 2019.  In some instances I couldn't find a video of the song performed at MerleFest, so I've included some from other festivals.)


The Dirk Powell Band - during his sets, Dirk played: violin, guitar, banjo and mandolin (and sang!). He's an incredible musician - and the more I learn about him and the music he plays, the more I respect him and his musical genius!

Amos Lee

Molly Tuttle (with Christian Sedelmeyer on violin)

The Hillside Album Hour
Each year, the Waybacks and friends choose an album and do a live electrified acoustic version of it.  This year was Led Zeppelin IV (ZOSO), with their own "twists", is it merely artistic creativity or copyright infringement protection?
Here's another set of links of the album hour.

The Avett Brothers and Brandi Carlile
Brandi Carlile
Tyler Childers
  • Nose on the Grindstone (video from Tuck Fest - a day after his performance at MerleFest).  This song is powerful and haunting.  The lyrics left me spellbound...  
The Sam Bush Band - Sam and his amazing band are perennial favorites at MerleFest and they never disappoint.  I always appreciate Sam's ability to cover other people's music and do it justice.  BTW - Sam's playing "Eric Clapton's guitar, after taxes" (electric stratocaster mandolin). 

No comments:

2020 US Presidential Election - Biden Wins and Trump Loses!

What a rollercoaster ride this election has turned into!  Absent a landslide victory, many people in the know "on both sides" pred...